Saturday, May 20, 2006

If you have one of greatest talents in American theatre, don't use him in a series of crap sketches.

Oh, great, an annoying couple. That's totally different than the not-funny annoying pan-European couple. I'm sure Kristen Wiig is quite nice but I'd like to see her featured in something, you know, comical. Sorry, the Target parody is decidedly not funny.

"I'm Carol?" Really? That has to be a laugh track I'm hearing because this has never been funny.

The Spacey/Samburg 'Usual Suspects' bit was perfect and hilarious.

I wasn't aware Timbaland could do more than add emphatic 'Mmms.' and 'Yeahs' anymore. The Timbalan' and Magoo catalog is a force to be reckoned with if you can find some good speakers and probably should be issued with all car stereo systems.

The Sharon Stone joke was funny.
The duck joke was funny. The alligator gag was funny.
'Religion Gone Nuts' was not funny.
And yes, you definitely don't hide it in a lab.
'Congratulations, you're crazy.' Funny.

The Falconer. I usually hate this sketch. The time travel concept is really funny. Huge costume changes.
Sarcasm sketch. A lot to think about.

Okay, I hate to do this since comedy is decidely hard and I'm not saying I'd be good at it or know anything about it, but I really can't tolerate watching SNL in realtime (as I am now -- I'd prefer to be able to fast-forward through this Taylor Hicks bit) anymore. This is my SNL roundup for the next year...

Top Shelf
Tina Fey. Funny.
Bill Hader. Funny. If you have to pay Paris Hilton to date Al Pacino so you can work him into a sketch every week, do it.
Amy Poehler. Very funny.
Finesse Mitchell ('you are a magician' -- hilarious)
Seth Meyers. Great straight guy.
Maya Rudolph. Funny. Don't use your Euro accent ever again.
Kenan Thompson.
Andy Samberg. Hilarious.

Should Keep In The Same Way The Pats Should Have Kept Vinateri
Horatio Sanz. I know Tina Fey had some part in greenlighting 'Carol' but you're wasting his Unintentional Comedy potential with a sketch that involves a single, unfunny premise thrown at the audience several times in the hope of getting a giggle from someone's mother in Tulsa who is unacquainted with sexual innuendo.

Keep With Conditions
Will Forte. Never, ever sing. Not on Weekend Update, not ever. Don't do anything with your voice other than speak in your normal voice. Never, ever say these words at a meeting: "How about I do a bit with a falsetto?"
Darrell Hammond. Don't do gimmick impersonations.
Jason Sudeikis. I'm sure he could be funny. Don't play characters that America would punch in the face if given the chance.

Drop Immediately
Fred Armisen. Very talented. But should be on Mad TV where I could not watch him.
Rachel Dratch. Also very talented. The Oteri of the current set. Probably will garner a 'Best Of' that will last 35 minutes.
Chris Parnell. Again, probably great at parties. I'm sure you could trade him to another show (say, 'Best Week Ever') and get a few farm-team players to develop.

Pick Up Immediately
Michael Ian Black
Thomas Lennon
Kerri Kenney
Michael Showalter
Ben Garant
Joe Lo Truglio
Ken Marino
Kevin Allison
Michael Patrick Jann
David Wain
The Guy from the Cingular Commercial

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

So . . . this is Saturday Night Live or something. Is Kevin Nealon still on that?

10:53 AM, May 21, 2006  
Blogger Scott said...

And Michael Ian Black is a talentless hack . . .

10:53 AM, May 21, 2006  
Blogger Live Blogging said...

Check your spelling. You meant hackless talent.

3:21 PM, May 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home